General Contact Information
Office of the Provost & Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
One Bernard Baruch Way
New York, NY 10010-5585
135 East 22nd Street, 7th Floor
Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
This email is being sent to all members of the Baruch College faculty.
For an archive of announcements sent from the Associate Provost beginning June 2011, click here.
Please inform your undergraduates of this opportunity.
The 2014 CUNY Nobel Science Challenge: The Science Behind the Prize
A Competition for CUNY Undergraduate Students
CUNY undergraduate students are invited to describe in 1000-1500 words, the scientific concepts behind the work for which one of the 2014 Nobel winners received their respective prize and the present and future significance of the research to humanity. All first degree undergraduate students currently registered in a degree program at CUNY are eligible to enter the competition. The essays must make the science accessible to the lay person.
Essays will be read and judged by a committee of distinguished CUNY faculty. Three prizes will be awarded in each category (physiology or medicine, physics, chemistry, and economics). An external committee will review each first place essay to determine if there will be a Grand prize winner.
Prizes in each category:
Apple iMac Computer
Amazon Kindle Fire
All essays must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on December 5, 2014. They should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format and submitted using the Formstack found at http://www.cuny.edu/research/sr/nobel-science-challenge.html.
* Winners will be announced in February 2015. *
- Previous first prize winners are not eligible for this year’s competition.
- Essays that exceed the word limit will be rejected (bibliographies, charts, etc. do not count toward the limit).
- Essays will be judged on accuracy and clarity.
- No portion of your essay may be copied from other sources without appropriate citation of the sources. Essays will be checked for original content using source-verification software. You must cite your sources within the text and as a list at the end of the document.
For more information and a list of Frequently Asked Questions,
Questions may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.