General Contact Information
Office of the Provost & Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
One Bernard Baruch Way
New York, NY 10010-5585
135 East 22nd Street, 7th Floor
Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
This email is being sent to all members of the Baruch College faculty.
For an archive of announcements sent from the Associate Provost beginning June 2011, click here.
From: The Instructional Technology Team, Baruch Computing and Technology Center (BCTC)
We are writing to you to provide a brief update on the progress of the Blackboard update. The update to Blackboard will begin at midnight on December 29, 2014, and is expected to be completed by the end of business on December 30, 2014. This update will introduce new features and functionality into the learning management system, including: a Student Preview feature for Faculty and improvements to the SafeAssign, Grade Center, and Test features. This Blackboard update will also include the Blackboard e-Portfolio and enhancements to Blackboard Collaborate, the video conference tool for Blackboard. Unfortunately, the system will be unavailable during this update. We strongly encourage all faculty members to plan accordingly for this downtime.
During the month of October, Blackboard support staff from CUNY CIS and the campuses attended Train the Trainer sessions hosted by Blackboard. Additionally, intensive user acceptance testing of the new Blackboard environment and its component features was held in early November. No critical issues were identified during the features testing, allowing work to begin on performance testing for the new Blackboard environment. This round of testing has now been completed by Blackboard to ensure that the new configuration is robust enough to support CUNY’s heavy use requirements. The Training and Communications Taskforces are currently working to update the CUNY-wide Blackboard Resources Site at www.cuny.edu/blackboard with information and user guides on Blackboard’s new features.
A few important points:
- Winter Session 2015 and Spring 2015 courses have already been created in Blackboard. If you are missing courses, they might not have been created in CUNY First by the Registrar.
- Course development may begin immediately. Materials posted to the current Blackboard will be available after the upgrade.
- Blackboard will be unavailable from 12:01 AM on December 29 until the end of business on December 30.
- Grade data may be downloaded from Blackboard for use in Microsoft Excel. Please see http://ondemand.blackboard.com/r91/movies/bb91_grade_center_working_offline.htm
- Grades for Fall 2014 courses are due by Wednesday, December 31, at 11:59pm.
QUESTIONS? Please feel free to contact the Baruch Computing and Technology Center Help Desk with questions, concerns, or your thoughts on the process. The next few months promise to be a busy time for Blackboard at Baruch, but the new features will expand our academic toolbox in ways that support learning.
Instructional Technology Team
Baruch Computing and Technology Center