General Contact Information
Office of the Provost & Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
One Bernard Baruch Way
New York, NY 10010-5585
135 East 22nd Street, 7th Floor
Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
This email is being sent to all members of the Baruch College faculty.
For an archive of announcements sent from the Associate Provost beginning June 2011, click here.
According to the International Center for Academic Integrity (ICAI), contract cheating is a “form of academic dishonesty [in which] students get academic work completed on their behalf, which they then submit for academic credit [and/or advantage] as if they had created it themselves.”
The ICAI continues…
“Those who do the academic work for the student, the contract cheating provider (Provider), come in all forms – freelancers, contractors working with companies, online companies, and their employees.
For example, students who contract cheat might:
· purchase an assignment from an online site, through Craigslist or other online platforms
· obtain assistance from someone else that goes beyond mere editing to writing of the assignment or solving of the problem
· participate in unauthorized discussion group or sharing answers to an assignment on file sharing sites or social media sites like Facebook or WeChat
· post or purchase answers to an exam, assignment, problem or any other assessed work
· pay someone to write a test or exam”
As the semester moves towards the time of final papers and major projects, we would like to share with you access to the ICAI’s “Toolkit to Combat Contract Cheating,” shared with the permission of the ICAI: https://academicintegrity.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Toolkit.pdf [academicintegrity.us9.list-manage.com]
If you believe a student has engaged in contract (or other) cheating, you can report them to the Dean of Students Office at https://www.pavesuite.com/Baruch/PublicPortal/HomePage.
If you end up using the guide, we’d be happy to hear your thoughts on it.
Annie J. Virkus-Estrada, PhD
Associate Dean of Students
Academic Integrity Officer
Baruch College - CUNY
Dennis Slavin, PhD
Associate Provost for Teaching and Learning
Assistant Vice President
Baruch College, CUNY
646-660-6504 (phone); 646-660-6531 (fax)