Faculty Innovation Seed Grants
Faculty Innovation Seed Grants will support the early-stage development of cross-college (i.e., inter-school) interdisciplinary research proposals. Two seed grants will be awarded to two project teams to develop research or creative projects that cross traditional school and disciplinary boundaries and that have the potential for garnering additional external funding or otherwise have lasting impact on a field/fields or on Baruch College itself. Proposals that engage undergraduate students in research and/or integrate research with teaching are particularly welcome.
Project teams will receive up to $10,000 in support for Calendar Year 2023, with the expectation that external funding proposals will be submitted no later than December 2023. Successful applicants will make a public presentation of their research-in-progress to the Baruch community at the Cross-College Research Symposium May 2023 and will serve on the selection committee for the next round of applicants.
Projects teams can be of any size or rank but must be led by a full-time faculty member in a professorial title (i.e., assistant, associate, or full professor). Project teams must include faculty from at least two of Baruch’s three schools; proposal that include faculty from all three schools will be given special consideration
The lead faculty member who receives an award under this program is expected to remain a full-time employee of the College for the semester following the conclusion of the award period (i.e., Spring 2024).
A. Description of the Project: Maximum of five pages, single‐spaced, for non‐specialist readers. The description should be brief, non‐technical, and include:
1. Statement of the central question to be addressed by this research or creative activity, its significance, and its relevance to the goals of the program to support interdisciplinary cross-college collaboration
2. Objectives of the project
3. Methods to be employed and (where relevant) its relation to existing literature in the field
4. Proposed project deliverables – must include, at minimum, presentation to the Baruch community and development of a significant external funding proposal
4. Description of how the project will assist in competition for external research support including list of potential funding sources and their timelines
5. Project timetable for completion of the major elements of the project.
B. Budget: Maximum one page itemized project costs. Please note that you must not already have other funds that could support the proposed research but leveraging this grant to receive others is encouraged. Faculty stipend is not an allowable cost, but reassigned time is. Please reach out to SPAR for assistance in developing your budget.
C. Short Curriculum Vitae of each of the team members; three pages maximum per CV submitted. Please be sure to include the short CV for all team members.
D. Letter of support from the chair of the lead faculty’s department (or Marxe associate dean).
Application deadline: Thursday September 1, 2022.
Submit your application materials in a single pdf file to Provost@Baruch.cuny.edu with the subject heading “Innovation Seed Grant Application” no later than Thursday, September 1, 2022.